is still being built. Some pages are unfinished.
In Their Own Country
Acclaimed West Virginia writers offer timeless readings, stories, advice on writing, and insights on life, Appalachian culture and history, dogs, and more
Funded by the West Virginia Humanities Council
Inspiring visits with 14 of West Virginia's
* Each writer has their own page and hour-long audio
interview. Click "The Writers" above, to find the pages.
* Play or download a whole 58-minute audio program, or download shorter excerpts.
* This site makes it easy to play these writers' voices in your class or presentation.
* Each program is divided into short, downloadable audio tracks of 3 - 12 minutes.
* You can download the script for each program, labeled with track numbers.
* Each table of contents helps you locate tracks that interest you: readings, advice on writing, childhood memories, etc.
* The Teacher page offers ideas on ways parents and teachers can weave these writers appropriately into your school day.
The perception of West Virginia as a literary backwater was thoroughly demolished by these programs."
~ Graffiti Weekly
These fourteen West Virginia writers have a lot of company. These are a few of many.